Last update on the hourglass heels. I sat knitting for hours today watching season I of Lark Rise to Candleford on YouTube!
Here they are. The second sock has two good sides, so as a total the socks have three good sides. Not too shabby for me.
The yarn is Järbo Raggi Batik, colour 1522. As the toe of the first sock was blue, the top of the next was also blue and it looks a bit like I have knitted the second sock from the bottom and up. Which I haven't.
As soon as I finished these little pilot project socks I started a new pair for my youngest daughter. Red yarn. Gull wing lace in the front. I'll get back to you on that project.
So... I thought I'd managed to understand the hourglass heel. And I went on knitting pretty much in the dark and felt very proud of myself. Until I turned on the lights and saw that there was a row of holes in the diagonal. Fail.
I went to sleep and woke up about half past three in the night. We have had an Indian summer the last couple of days and the heat was unbearable. So of course I went about googling and thought I found the answer.
When turning the heel I needed to include both of the rounds of yarn that I had put around the slipped stitch. If you have never made an hourglass heel, read the instructions I linked to in the last post.
And now it turned out OK. Not gorgeous, but OK. And, at least on the one side.
On the other side I must have turned the stitches the wrong way, see below. But I have one more sock to go, so this time I considered the work good enough and did not frog it.
And I will try to be better in updating the blog. I will. Really I will.
Today I just want to mention that I am trying to knit a pair of socks. With hourglass heels. I really did not want any other kind of heels. And I really didn't want hourglass heels with a row of ugly holes. So at last, after searching the internet and trying again and again I finally think I've got it.